Membership of the New Zealand Companion Animal Council (NZCAC) is open to organisations. The continuing work of the NZCAC is supported by its members and we invite you to become a member today by completing our membership application form.
Current members will automatically receive a membership renewal notice at the end of the membership year.
The NZCAC is the leading society for organisations interested in furthering companion animal welfare and urban animal management within New Zealand.
The vision of the NZCAC is “a nation that values, respects and responsibly cares for companion animals”. To realise this vision the NZCAC is working to advance companion animal guardianship by influencing policy, codes of welfare and industry standards and promote a harmonious relationship between companion animals, the environment and people through the delivery of high quality research, advocacy and education.
Current NZCAC indvidual members include: veterinarians, veterinary nurses, animal care and rescue staff, animal welfare scientists, and lawyers.
Current NZCAC organisational members include university or polytechnic departments, companion animal or rescue charities, local government animal control departments, veterinary practices, pet stores, pet insurance companies, and pharmaceutical companies.
As well as helping to advance companion animal welfare in New Zealand, as a NZCAC member you will also receive:
- Regular updates and information on NZCAC and associated activities relating to companion animal welfare in our quarterly newsletter.
- Notification of new NZCAC publications and upcoming NZCAC forums and conferences.
- Discounted attendance at our biennial conference.
- Opportunities to network, share ideas, local knowledge and learn about innovations and best practice principles for companion animal welfare at our forums and other events.
- Opportunities to advocate collaboratively on behalf of companion animals.
- Access to our resources, including the 5-yearly companion animal survey and summary codes of welfare.
- Access to our members-only area of the website.
Becoming a Member
Our current membership rates are:
- Individual $25
- Student/Senior/Beneficiary $15
- Organisation $50
Applications for membership are put before the NZCAC Executive Board on a regular basis. Applicants require two proposers who support their membership application, one of whom must already be a member of the NZCAC. All applicants must read and agree to adhere to the NZCAC Member Code of Conduct. Once membership has been approved, the applicant will be invoiced for their membership fee.
Code of Conduct
The NZCAC requires that applicants abide by the NZCAC Member Code of Conduct. The Code of Conduct sets out standards of behaviour that are expected of NZCAC members. In brief, the Code of Conduct requires that NZCAC members:
- act in accordance with the vision and values of the Council and promote them wherever appropriate in their daily lives;
- act in a fair, honest and proper way;
- create and maintain good relationships with each other and with the public; and
- disclose any potential or actual conflict of interest.
You can access the full NZCAC Member Code of Conduct here.
Failure to comply with the NZCAC Member Code of Conduct may result in termination of NZCAC membership and the forfeiture of any membership fees previously paid.
Signing the NZCAC Membership application is your acceptance to abide by the NZCAC’s Member Code of Conduct and your statement of understanding that if you do not, this may result in termination of your membership with no possibility of reinstatement.